- Behavior- bullying, taking care of books, wearing seat belts, manners, etc. all are here
- Confidence- Anything to do with believing in yourself, staying true to yourself, and/or being proud of you.
- Family- moms, dads, new sisters or brothers, grandmas, aunts, uncles. . .same sex parenting families, adoption. It all goes here.
- Feelings- feelings and how to deal with strong feelings go here.
- Friends- best friends, frenemies. . .
- Health- dental, body parts/systems/functions, doctor visits, excercising, etc.
- Routines- things that happen in kids daily lives like going to the bathroom, getting ready for bed, daily schedule type books.
- School- I debated putting this section into community, but figured most of the kids that come to the library will end up going to school someday; that is part of their everyday lives, so all of the going to school, and what happens during school books are here.
I DREADED working on this category. This category has a lot of ambiguous books. They could be behavior, but could also be friendship or family. I saved this one until the end. Piles of books about kids lives went into an even bigger pile to sort and separate later. When I had no other choice but to work on these books, I started grouping them by similar books and then the sub-categories emerged.