Feb 1, 2013

Newbery Marathon

I have read a lot of picture books in my day, but cannot say the same about children's novels. The other day I was poking around on Goodreads and noticed that there was a group called Newbery Marathon.  I am a bit of a list junkie and was intrigued. Oddly enough I do not enjoy making lists, but I love crossing things off of lists. I have not officially joined the group, but reading all of the Newbery winners is something I can definitely do on my own.

Since the Summer of 2011, when I was taking a children's lit class for my MLIS, I have read (so I'm counting these):
I started this marathon last Monday and have checked three more off the list:
  • 2009 The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
    • I did not love this book, or even like it. I have read The Monstrumologist and Rotters which to me had a similar feel, but the characters in Graveyard didn't seem very real and the plot seemed random (to me).
  • 2011 Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
    • This book was slow moving, but somehow grabbed me from the beginning. Something about Abeline and her character really struck a chord with me. I loved how all of the elements of the plot came together at the end.
  • 2000 Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
    • I liked this book, but still have a melancholy feeling from it. I don't enjoy books where adults are unreasonably mean to kids (even if it is only for one chapter). Happily after the initial abuse he suffers from, Bud experiences kindness from many other people.
I am already almost ten percent of the way finished!

No comments:

Post a Comment