Since the Summer of 2011, when I was taking a children's lit class for my MLIS, I have read (so I'm counting these):
- 2013 The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate (I am so glad this book won, I absolutely loved it)
- 2012 Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos
- 2010 When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
- 2005 Kira-Kira by Cynthia Kadohata
- 1994 The Giver by Lois Lowry
- 1990 Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
- 1963 A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
I started this marathon last Monday and have checked three more off the list:
- 2009 The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- I did not love this book, or even like it. I have read The Monstrumologist and Rotters which to me had a similar feel, but the characters in Graveyard didn't seem very real and the plot seemed random (to me).
- 2011 Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool
- This book was slow moving, but somehow grabbed me from the beginning. Something about Abeline and her character really struck a chord with me. I loved how all of the elements of the plot came together at the end.
- 2000 Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
- I liked this book, but still have a melancholy feeling from it. I don't enjoy books where adults are unreasonably mean to kids (even if it is only for one chapter). Happily after the initial abuse he suffers from, Bud experiences kindness from many other people.
I am already almost ten percent of the way finished!