Feb 5, 2013

I Love Hats!

First we voted: I wore a hat vs. I did not wear a hat (to Storytime) 

First Book: I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen. This book went over really well. I was sad and surprised that I didn't know what the gray animal with the striped stomach was- armadillo??. The kids had fun guessing what it was anyway along with identifying all of the other woodland creatures (doesn't an armadillo live in the desert?). This was such a great read aloud, next time I will have to use my Big Bear Voice - I didn't start out very theatrical today.

Song & Dance: Pig on Her Head by the Laurie Berkner Band. I have used this before and each kid gets a little printed out, laminated animal. When their animal is "on" they get to stand and put it on their head (if they are not too shy).

Book Two: The Hat by Jan Brett. Using the foreshadowing side of the page, the kids were super interested in what was coming next and could barely contain themselves from shouting out while I was still reading what was on the current page! I ended up covering it up with my hand so I could read the text, and I got the added bonus of a build up to the big reveal for the next page. I also pointed out that something was happening at the top of the page on the clothesline and used that for "what do you think" questions.

Song & Dance: Going along with the hen in The Hat, each kid got an egg shaker and we danced and shook  our eggs to I Know a Chicken by the Laurie Berkner band. This got them nice and ready to sit for our next story.

Book Three: Caps for Sale by Esphyr Slobodkina. I have loved this book since I was a kid. A lot of opportunities for read a loud crowd participation. The hats' colors don't really match the colors listed in the text, but the red matched and they helped me finish with "THE RED CAPS" every time! They also had fun mimicking right along with the monkeys, and they called the monkeys copycats! I have a smart group :)

I had planned on doing Five Little Monkeys in the Tree on flannel board and reading Go Dog, Go!, but we were running out of time and had to jump straight to the craft. Yep, you guessed it we made hats! One and a half paper plates for each kid with some old letter and winter themed foam shapes and a cotton ball and we had our hats.
Why didn't I use the Newbery winner you ask? I did struggle with this one, but thought that I Want My Hat Back offered up more opportunity for crowd participation. And because I liked the red hat :) 
Especially when the bear realizes he has already seen it!

No comments:

Post a Comment