Feb 8, 2013

Newbery Marathon Update

  • 1958 Rifles for Watie by Harold Keith
    • Civil War story about the battles in the war that took place further west. Acting accidentally as a spy, Jeff befriends people on both sides of the war. I was not aware that the Cherokee were involved in fighting the Civil War. The details of their involvement seemed a little unclear, but I might have been reading too fast.
  • 1999 Holes by Louis Sachar
    • The book followed pretty closely to the movie, but had an even better, more circular ending than the movie. Fast paced and an easy read. The flashbacks might have been confusing, but I'm not sure because I have seen the movie several times and knew where they were headed.
  • 1996 Midwife's Apprentice by Karen Cushman
    • Boy was I surprised when I looked up the date for the medal, I was thinking decades earlier. My book has a really crappy, dated looking cover and the story was good, but it did not WOW me like other Newberys did. 
 That's 3 more down for a total of 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment